Adult Guardianships - Grand Traverse County Probate Court
Guardianship of Incapacitated Adult
This page is meant to provide you with general information in regards to filing a petition. Please note: Our staff is prohibited by law from giving you legal advice. Please consult an attorney if you require assistance filling out these forms.
Who Can File
Any person interested in the individual’s welfare, or the individual themselves may petition for appointment of a guardian.
- Filing fee: The filing fee is $175 payable by cash, check, or money order. If the petitioner can show that they are unable to pay this fee, he or she must file a Waiver/Suspension of Fees, MC 20 (PDF), with a Financial Statement, MC 287 (PDF). The court will review the information provided and will either grant or deny your request. If the fees are not waived, you will be required to pay the filing fee before your petition is processed.
- Certified copy: If you request a certified copy of your Letters of Guardianship, the cost is $12.
- Publication fee: If you do not know the address of an interested person in the guardianship matter, you will be required to publish in the newspaper. This fee is around $75 and is subject to change. This fee is collected by the newspaper.
- Guardian ad Litem/Attorney fees: These fees are the responsibility of the petitioner, or they can be paid from the person’s estate if the funds are available.
Appointment of Guardian Ad Litem
Upon the filing of a petition, the court will appoint a guardian ad litem for the person who is the subject of this petition. The guardian ad litem will meet with the individual and report to the court as to their findings and recommendations.
The hearing on the Petition for Appointment of Guardian of Incapacitated Individual will usually take place within 3 - 4 weeks after you file your petition. The court will notify all interested persons of the hearing date and time. The petitioner must attend the hearing. The person who is the subject of the petition may attend the hearing if he or she wishes, but does not have to attend.
- PC 625 (PDF) - Petition for Appointment of Guardian of Incapacitated Individual
- PC 571 (PDF) – Acceptance of Appointment (signed by any proposed guardian)
It is recommended that you also file PC 630, Report of Physician or Mental Health Professional. If you are requesting an emergency guardianship, it is strongly recommended that you file this form.
- PC 630 (PDF) - Report of Physician or Mental Health Professional
NOTE: These instructions are not meant to be exhaustive, but rather to give you general information. If your petition is contested or complex, it is recommended that you talk to an attorney.