STATE OF MICHIGAN RECORDING FEES INCREASE EFFECTIVE OCTOBER 1, 2016
All documents regardless of page count, will cost $30.00 to record.
A document discharging or assigning more than 1 instrument is an additional $3.00 for each additional instrument number.
Cost for a copy of a recorded document remains at $1.00 per page.
Cost for a certified copy of a recorded document will be $5.00.
Search fees remain at .50 cents per year searched, $5.00 minimum.
Contact your local Register for tract index search fees.
New recording cost is inclusive of Michigan Remonumentation and Register of Deeds Automation fees.
General Recording Fees (Until October 1, 2016 - see above.)
For entering and recording any deed, mortgage, certified court copy, or any other instrument:
| 1st Page
| Each Additional Page
$4 of this fee is deposited to the Michigan State Survey and Remonumentation (MSSR) fund. The MSSR fee is not assessed on fixture filings, state liens, federal liens, state deeds, plats, or tax reversion documents as per MCLA 600.2567a(4).
Warranty Deeds & Land Contracts A tax certification must be obtained prior to recording any of the following as per MCLA 211.135:
- Warranty deed
- Any deed which contains a covenant of warranty
- Land contract
- Assignment of land contract with warranty clause
What is Transfer Tax?
Any deed or easement that has a consideration will have state and county transfer tax due at the time of recording based on the total consideration unless there are exemptions stated. State transfer tax is not due on deeds that were executed prior to January 1, 1995, or if the deed is given upon the payoff of a land contract that was executed prior to same date. Either the liber/page and date of the land contract must be stated on the deed or the exemptions must be stated. For State and County transfer tax exemption information see MCL 207.526 and MCL 207.505.
- The county transfer tax rate is $1.10 for each $1,000 or fraction thereof.
- The state transfer tax rate is $7.50 for each $1,000 or fraction thereof.
- If consideration is $110,100, round up to next 500 and multiply $110,500 by 0.0086 (State .0075, County .0011). Total Transfer Tax would be $950.30 (State 828.75, County 121.55).
- If consideration is $110,501, round up to next 500 and multiply $111,000 by 0.0086 (State .0075, County .0011). Total Transfer Tax would be $954.60 (State 832.50, County 122.10).
- Tax certificates cost $5 for up to 25 parcel (tax) ID numbers
- $0.20 per additional parcel (tax) ID number over 25
Assignment & Discharge Fees
For any document which assigns or discharges more than 1 instrument, an additional $3 will be added to the recording fee for each additional instrument (liber/page or document number) assigned or discharged.
Recording Fees for State, Federal & Miscellaneous Liens
- $13 for Notice of Tax Lien
- $3 for Certificate of Release of Tax Lien
- $6 for Certificate of Release of Tax Lien that is for both Real and Personal property
- $10 for both the Notice of Lien for Real Property and for the Certificate of Release for Real Property
- $1 for both the Notice of Lien and Certificate of Release for Personal Property
Michigan Employment Security Act (MESC)
- $2 for Notice of Lien
- $2 for Discharge of Lien ($1 for each additional Liber/Page or document number discharged)
UCC/Fixture Filings with real property attached are a flat fee of $15 per document.
|Type of Copy
||$1 Per Page
||An Additional $1 Per Page
|Emailed or Faxed Copies
||$2 Per Page