Advanced >>
Text Size: Large TextNormal Text Small Text Print Print

Civil Division

The 86th District Court Civil Division (case types GC, GZ, LT, SP and SC) Imaging project is in full swing.  The Court no longer has paper files, however, we are not yet permitted by SCAO(State Court Administrators Office) to accept E-filings. 

The action for general civil, small claims or landlord-tenant must be filed in the District Court in the county where the premises are located.

The following changes are required when filing with Grand Traverse and Leelanau Counties

For all Case Types:
    Provide a single check for each transaction.

    Unless specified below, DO NOT send multiple copies of a document.
    A separate judge copy will NO longer be necessary.
    Provide the Court only the Request and Writ for Garnishment, Part 1 & Part 2, the filing
    fee and a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Please DO NOT sent to the court the
    disclosure fee and disclosure forms, but retain them for distribution upon the court
    issuing the Writ for Garnishment.
    Provide one (1) copy of the Default Judgment with one (1) return envelope
    the plaintiff with adequte postage and one (1) envelope for the defendant
    with adequete postage.
    Please DO NOT staple the documents together.
    If you use a dot matrix printer, ensure the ribbon is printing clearly.  (Many documents
    are not readable after being scanned.)

For General Civil Cases:
    Only one (1) copy of the Summons is necessary.  
    Provide one (1) return envelope for the plaintiff with adequate postage.
    Send only one (1) Complaint unless using the Court Process Servers.

For Landlord/Tenant Cases:
    Provide one (1) return envelope for the plaintiff with adequate postage.
    Provide one (1) return envelope addressed to each defendant with adequate postage.
    Provide two (2) copies of the Complaint, Lease and Notice to Quit for each defendant.

**There are 2 complaint forms for Landlord/Tenant Cases:
    1. Complaint for Nonpayment of Rentlinks to external site
    2. Complaint for Termination of Tenancylinks to external site

For Small Claims Cases:
    Provide one (1) return envelope for the plaintiff with adequate postage.


If you have any questions, please contact Carol Stocking at (231) 922-4502 or email her at

Grand Traverse County            
280 Washington Street 
Suite 114C
Traverse City, MI 49684
(231) 922-4581       

Antrim County
(231) 533-6441

Leelanau County
(231) 256-8250                                           
            •    General Civil Cases
            •    Landlord/Tenant Disputes           
            •    Small Claims

            86th District Court Civil Forms
            Civil Division Filing Fees-Contact Civil Division for details.

Court Clerks cannot give legal advice.  Legal assistance may be obtained by contacting the following agencies:  

Third Level Legal Aid Clinic (231) 922-4800
Legal Hotline for Michigan Seniors (Age 60+) (800) 347-5297
Legal Services of Northern Michigan (231) 941-0771
Women's Resource Center Family Law Clinic (231) 941-1210
State Bar of Michigan Lawyer Referral Service (800) 968-0738

The Law Library of the 4th floor of the Historical Courthouse is now closed. Referrals should be made to the Traverse Area District Library, 610 Woodmere Ave, Traverse City, MI 49686. (231) 932-8500.