Register of DeedsPeggy Haines
400 Boardman Ave
Traverse City, MI 49684
Most Common Errors
The following are the most common reasons for a document to be returned for corrections.
1. The venue, which most commonly appears above the notary acknowledgment statment, is the county and state where the document was executed. The county and state in the venue must be filled in and must coincide with the county and state in which the notary is commissioned or "acting in".
2. The majority of documents are required to have a legal description attached. This is not a tax parcel ID number or street address. The full legal description must be included when applicable.
3. We do not accept "Tax" legals. This is the legal description you would find on your tax bill or would get from the township/city/village. The only legals we accept for recording should come from either a previous deed or survey. Tax legals are considered can be incomplete and incorrect. They are for the assessor's use only.
4. Please make sure the names printed beneath the signatures match the names printed in the notary acknowledgment exactly. If an individual is signing for a trust or company; their name, title and the company or trust's name must match exactly, both at the signature line and in the acknowledgment.
5. Please make sure the drafter's name, and address, is on document. We must have an individual's name not just the company name.
6. Marital status for all male grantors/mortgagors must be stated on all documents conveying or mortgaging property.