1. Signatures must be original, and names must be typed or printed beneath signatures.
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (a)
2. No discrepancy shall exist between names printed in the notary acknowledgment and
as printed beneath signatures. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (b)
3. Instruments conveying or mortgaging property shall state the marital status of all male
grantors/mortgagors. MCLA 565.201a
4. The address of the grantees in each deed of conveyance or assignment of real estate
shall contain the street number address or post office address. MCLA 565.201
Sec. 1 (d)
5. The name and address of the person who drafted the document must appear on the
documents executed in Michigan. MCLA 565.201a
6. Documents purporting to convey or encumber real estate executed in Michigan
require acknowledgment by a judge, clerk of a court of record, or a notary public
within this State. MCLA 565.8; 565.47 form: MCLA 565.265; 565.267
7. A certified copy of the death certificate or proof of death must be recorded or have
been recorded and referenced by liber and page on said documents when “survivor”
is indicated on the document. MCLA 565.48
8. Court orders must be certified and sealed by the clerk of the court. MCLA 565.401,
9. The document submitted for recording must be legible. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iv)
10. Documents must have a margin of unprinted space at least 2 ½ inches at the top of
the first page and at least ½ inch on all remaining sides of each page. MCLA
565.201 Sec. 1(f)(i).
11. Documents must display on the first line of print on the first page a single statement
identifying the recordable event that the instrument evidences. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1
(f)(ii); 565.201 Sec. 3.
12. The type on the form must be printed with black ink, type size at least 10-point type.
MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iii)(iv)
13. The paper on which the document is printed must be white and not less than 20-
pound weight. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(iv)
14. The size of the document and any attachment thereto must be at least 8 ½ inches
by 11 inches, at most 8 ½ inches by 14 inches. MCLA 565.201 Sec. 1 (f)(v)(vi).
Please note the staff makes every effort to help patrons, however, the staff may:
NOT give legal advice or state opinions on legal issues.
NOT interpret the law
NOT select specific forms
NOT choose or recommend language for use on any form or other legal document.