County ClerkBonnie Scheele
400 Boardman Avenue
Traverse City, MI 49684
FAX: (231) 922-4794
Process to obtain a copy of a marriage license.
The marriage license index lists all people who have applied for a marriage license in Grand Traverse County. Not all marriage licenses are used but they still appear on the marriage license application index.
Records are open to the public, no ID required. Records available: 1853 to present.
We can process requests made through the mail or in person at our office. You can view a marriage license during our research hours or purchase a certified copy of it. The fee for a certified copy is $10.00 for the first copy, $4.00 for each additional copy of the same record. Fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card (see link on the left of the page for credit card payments).
To view the marriage license application index click on the link below The database is updated nightly.
Online Database Search
Process to file an application for a marriage license.
WHERE TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
Michigan residents must apply for the license in the county where either applicant is a resident. The license is valid throughout the State of Michigan.
Out of State applicants must apply in the county where they are to be married. The license is valid in that county only.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR A MARRIAGE LICENSE
1. Completed application which must include social security numbers for bride and groom. DO NOT sign the application until you are in front of a notary public or the county clerk staff.
2. A current driver’s license with the correct address.
3. U.S. born applicants must provide certified copies of birth certificates showing parents’ full names (certified copies of birth certificates are issued by the county clerk or state register and have an impressed court seal on them).
4. Foreign born applicants must provide a valid passport, permanent resident alien card or naturalization certificate.
5. Fees may be paid by cash, check, money order, or credit/debit card (see link on the left of the page for credit card payments).
Grand Traverse County applicants $20.00
Out of State applicants $30.00
1. Men and women 18 years of age and older may contract marriage in Michigan without parent’s consent.
2. Persons 16 and 17 must have written consent of one parent listed on the birth certificate, who must appear at the time of application with the minor. Valid identification of applicant and parent is required.
1. The marriage license becomes valid on the 3rd day following receipt of application.
To receive the license before the 3rd day, you can purchase a waiver for an additional $100.00 fee.
2. Marriage license must be picked up prior to the wedding ceremony.
Any clergyman or magistrate who shall join together in marriage parties who have not delivered to him a properly issued license, as provided for in this act, or who shall violate any of the provisions of this act, shall be adjudged guilty of a misdemeanor, and shall be punished by a fine of 100 dollars, or in default of payment thereof, by imprisonment in the county jail for a term of 90 days (MCLA 551.106).
3. The marriage ceremony must be performed within 33 days of receipt of application.
4. Office hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Check with the County Clerk’s office for holiday schedule when the office may be closed)
Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to access the form.
The form can be completed from your computer, or you can print the form and provide the information. The form must be printed, signed, notarized and mailed to our office for processing with the appropriate fee.
We cannot accept requests electronically. MARRIAGE AFFIDAVIT