Advanced >>

Health Department

Community Health
    (231) 995-6111
Environmental Health
    (231) 995-6051
Animal Control
    (231) 995-6080
Service Hours/Contact Info

Text Size: Large TextNormal Text Small Text Print Print

Animal Control



& Found



Bite Reporting
and Rabies




The Grand Traverse County Health Department provides animal control services for all of Grand Traverse County.  While the County's services focus primarily on domestic canines (dogs), our certified Animal Control Officers often work with the Michigan DNR regarding non-domestic animal situations. 

If you know of a situation where you believe a canine's welfare may be in jeopardy or if health or safety may be impacted (such as a bite, attack, or harassment of a person by a dog), we urge you to contact our Animal Control Office at 231-995-6080 right away.  For dangerous situations involving animal neglect, abuse, endangerment, or any life threatening situations: PLEASE CALL 9-1-1.  

**Please note:  Sheltering services for dogs from  Grand Traverse County are now located at the Cherryland Humane Society.  If you choose to bring in a stray dog on your own, or if you are looking for you missing dog, please go the Cherryland Humane Society at 1750 Ahlberg Road (map).





Horse Thumbnail
Need help feeding your horses? Michigan Hay Bank can provide assistance!
  The Animal Control division is an extension of the Health Department's Communicable Disease Program for the control of rabies and other zoonotic diseases.
  Read or download the Grand Traverse County Animal Control Ordinance