Planning & Development
Department400 Boardman Ave
Traverse City, MI 49684
Phone: (231) 922-4676
The mission of the Grand Traverse County Planning Commission is to enhance the quality of life in and around Grand Traverse County by being a reliable and objective planning source and partner.
The Grand Traverse County Planning Commission was established in 1985 under the County Planning Act, PA 282 of 1945, now superseded by the Michigan Planning Enabling Act, PA 33 of 2008, as amended.
Primary Functions of the Planning Commission
- Develop and update County Comprehensive Plan.
- Review of proposed new or changes to master plans.
- Review of proposed new or changes to township zoning ordinances.
- Review proposed "PA 116" Farmland and Preservation Agreements.
- Plans and coordinates county plans and capital projects, including review of substantial capital improvements made by the County.
- Functions as a facilitator of land use issues of greater than local concern.
- Provide a clearinghouse of land use planning related data and information.
- Provide land use planning and zoning assistance to local units of government.
- Manage Land Development Review Committee, Zoning Administrators and Planning Commission Chairs' Quarterly Meetings, and Annual County Planning Awards Banquet.
- Represent Planning Commission on the County Parks & Recreation Commission and TC-TALUS.
- Prepare a strategic plan and an annual budget and report.