2650 LaFranier Road
Traverse City, MI 49686
Items of focus
Mission StatementThe mission of the Grand Traverse County Resource Recovery Department (RecycleSmart) is to protect the public health and environment of our community by efficiently managing waste materials with a focus on resource conservation.
2013 Take It Back “Recycler of the Year”
Grand Traverse County Resource Recovery (RecycleSmart) announced that the Resource Recovery Council unanimously selected Carter’s Compost as the 2013 Take It Back “Recycler of the Year”. Carter's Compost was recognized and a plaque presented at the Grand Traverse County Board of Commissioners, Resource Management & Administration committee meeting held on Wednesday, February 12, 2014.
Each year the Resource Recovery Council selects a local business to receive the Take It Back Recycling Program “Recycler of the Year” Award for their commitment in assisting Grand Traverse County residents reduce, reuse, and recycle materials that would otherwise have ended up in a landfill.
Carter's Compost began in April 2012 by 9 year old Carter with help from his brother Jameson and parents Ty & Johanna Schmidt, as a 100% bike powered kitchen scrap pickup service that has evolved rapidly to include many related activities, all in the interest of promoting their mission: "building community by making composting super easy for our TC neighbors".
Carter’s Compost accomplishments include:
- Assisted over 100 neighbors in reducing their waste by collecting kitchen scraps for composting
- Pick up 40 buckets per week of compostable food scraps (average weight per bucket is 10 lbs.)
- Between April 2012 and November 2013, have diverted approximately 15 tons of food waste from area landfills
- Added several offices to the Compost Friendly Business program. Now 12 in all!
- “Graduated” 13 members to their own backyard pile as part of the Sustained Community Compost Project
- Currently working on 4th grade Science Fair Project: A Compost Survey
- Maintains an informative compost website at: www.carterscompost.com
Introduced by the RecycleSmart staff in 2008, the “Take It Back” recycling program is a convenient product return infrastructure, where consumers can return unwanted products for reuse, recycling, or proper disposal. The program has grown to over 100 products listed with 63 participating local businesses. This information is available at the "Take It Back“ link at www.RecycleSmart.info and/or by calling the RecycleSmart Hotline at 941.5555.