2650 LaFranier Road
Traverse City, MI 49686
Household Hazardous Waste
Household Hazardous Waste & Pesticide Collections (HHW)
The summer Household Hazardous Waste & Pesticide Collection is scheduled for
August, 2013. An appointment is required.
Specific date, location, and additional information will be announced in late July.
Now accepting Latex Paint and Motor Oil.
Please Visit the Take It Back Link for additional recycling opportunities.
Learn Where to Recycle used motor oil and other products year around!
Learn Where to Recycle CFL bulbs and other products year around!
Learn Where to recycle electronics and other products year around!
All businesses are required to complete the CESQG form (Conditionally Exempt Small Quantity Generator). A generator is CESQG in a calendar month if no more than 100 kilograms (about 220 pounds or 25 gallons)of hazardous waste is generated in that month. Ref. 40CFR Part 261.5.
CESQG Certification Form
- Grand Traverse County residents may dispose of 150 lbs of hazardous materials at no charge. Beyond that amount they will be charged $1.00 per pound.
- Out-of-county residents may bring pesticides and mercury to the collections for free. All other materials will be charged $1.00 per pound for disposal.
- Hazardous Waste Collection Brochure (pdf)
- Automotive products & fuels:
- Antifreeze, brake fluid, car wax, diesel fuel, fuel oil (no tanks), gasoline, kerosene, oil/gas mixtures, transmission fluid, and similar items.
- Cleaning solvents, dry cleaning solutions, floor/furniture polish, muriatic acid, navel jelly, oven cleaners, silver/metal polish, rust remover, and similar items
- Paint products:
- Oil based paint, deck stain/preservative, driveway sealer, epoxy, glue/adhesive, lead or oil based paint, paint stripper, solvents, thinners, turpentine, varnish, and similar items
- Yard & garden products:
- Chemical fertilizer, insect repellent/fogger/killer, fungicide, herbicide, mouse/rat poison, pesticide, and similar items
- Fluorescent light bulbs, household batteries, lighter fluid, mercury thermometers & thermostats, mercury (elemental), nail polish/remover, pool chemicals, and similar items.
Latex paints are accepted at the 2013 HHW collections
Where to recycle Motor Oil
Grand Traverse County Resource Recovery (RecycleSmart) manages the Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) Clean Sweep program for 12 NW Michigan Counties which include: Leelanau, Missaukee, Montcalm, Manistee, Mason, Oceana, Antrim, Benzie, Lake, Mecosta, and Osceola.
“Clean Sweep” is a shining example of the environmental protection that can be accomplished with state, federal, local and industry partnerships,” said Keith Creagh, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD) Director. “This program has been able to achieve tremendous milestones that translate into a cleaner environment with safer farmsteads, households and communities as well as safer groundwater.”
The program has received an infusion of funding from a Great Lakes Restoration Initiative grant to collect and safely dispose of outdated, unused, unwanted, and potentially harmful pesticides like DDT and chlordane, as well as mercury and pharmaceuticals. Over the past 14 years, Clean Sweep has removed nearly 1.7 million pounds of pesticides from circulation at Michigan’s 16 Clean Sweep sites.
MDARD, through the Michigan Agriculture Environmental Assurance Program and supported by pesticide and fertilizer registration fees on specialty and agricultural products, provides funding to local communities to support the disposal of pesticides. Local units of government staff and maintain the sites, schedule collections and conduct other activities.
Please refer to the Take It Back link for additional recycling location options and further information.
- Fire extinguishers, Many fire extinguishers can be recharged. Please recharge or recycle unwanted fire extinguishers at: Northern Fire & Safety, 1798 Northern Star Dr., Traverse City 947-6035
- Propane tanks
- Propane tanks, including small camping-size tanks, can be recycled: Tri-Gas Distributing, Traverse City 946-9011.